June 20th, 2016
Officially two days from your due date. We had been monitoring my blood pressure due to a few high readings and the doctor felt it was best to induce. After working all day, we called in to check and see if we would be going to the hospital that night. They had a vacancy and instructed me to eat some dinner, get cleaned up, and then to come to the hospital. Your father and I checked three times to make sure we had everything with us. We were both so anxious, but me most of all. Then your father gave me a blessing.
Once at the hospital, they quickly got me into a room and a hospital gown. Your father and I both received bands that would identify you to be ours. They placed monitors across my belly to track your heart rate and my contractions. I was registering consistent contractions at about 8 minutes apart, but not dilated. They placed an IV in my arm, which I have never been a big fan of, but they were very nice about it. After verifying everything, our nurse introduced us to a resident Doctor. He confirmed with an ultrasound that you were indeed head down, then they placed what looks like aspirin to begin labor. We then began our waiting. Gigi came to sit with us through the night, which was extremely nice of her. It took two doses of the aspirin before we began to notice any change. I was able to walk the hallways with your father and it was pretty quiet on the labor and delivery floor. Seems like there was only one other room being occupied at the time.
June 21st, 2016
Around 1AM, I noticed that my bed appeared to become a little wet. I called for the nurse to come check. She discovered a little liquid and tested the moisture with a test strip. No sooner had she finished when my water broke completely on its own. It startled me because I figured I wouldn't be able to do it on my own. The color indicated that a bowel movement was made in the womb, and in turn they would monitor you closely. After getting cleaned, up we laid in bed and labored some more. Contractions were getting stronger and the check showed I was dilated to a three. I decided to sit on a medicine ball to help change position. It really helped take some of the pressure off, plus you like the bouncing as much as I do.
As the morning kept going on, I began to get really tired and could feel that the contractions were getting stronger. I decided it was time for an epidural. Then buzzed the on-call Doctor and told us if might be about 20 minutes. Only a few minutes had passed when the Doctor came in around 4:40AM. Nathan was so sweet and held me close as they administered the epidural. He had to poke twice due to a blood vessel encountered. There was a little pinch and a "zing" or shock following. Once he finished, I began to notice a little tingling in my legs as I laid back down in bed. Exhausted from anticipation, I laid down and rested for a while. A couple hours later the nurse came in to tell me that your heart rate wasn't fluctuating as much as she would like. They put an oxygen mask on me and tried turning me on my sides to see if that would help. Somehow I knew you were ok. After being checked again at about 10:30AM, they discovered I was dialated to 6 cm. We were all super excited to have such great progression so quickly. Even our nurse was bursting with excitement for us. She kept cheering me on. Gigi had been keeping everyone updated on where we were at in the process. Poppy came to visit us in the morning to see how we all did through the night and we explained all that had happened.
Once at the hospital, they quickly got me into a room and a hospital gown. Your father and I both received bands that would identify you to be ours. They placed monitors across my belly to track your heart rate and my contractions. I was registering consistent contractions at about 8 minutes apart, but not dilated. They placed an IV in my arm, which I have never been a big fan of, but they were very nice about it. After verifying everything, our nurse introduced us to a resident Doctor. He confirmed with an ultrasound that you were indeed head down, then they placed what looks like aspirin to begin labor. We then began our waiting. Gigi came to sit with us through the night, which was extremely nice of her. It took two doses of the aspirin before we began to notice any change. I was able to walk the hallways with your father and it was pretty quiet on the labor and delivery floor. Seems like there was only one other room being occupied at the time.
June 21st, 2016
Around 1AM, I noticed that my bed appeared to become a little wet. I called for the nurse to come check. She discovered a little liquid and tested the moisture with a test strip. No sooner had she finished when my water broke completely on its own. It startled me because I figured I wouldn't be able to do it on my own. The color indicated that a bowel movement was made in the womb, and in turn they would monitor you closely. After getting cleaned, up we laid in bed and labored some more. Contractions were getting stronger and the check showed I was dilated to a three. I decided to sit on a medicine ball to help change position. It really helped take some of the pressure off, plus you like the bouncing as much as I do.
As the morning kept going on, I began to get really tired and could feel that the contractions were getting stronger. I decided it was time for an epidural. Then buzzed the on-call Doctor and told us if might be about 20 minutes. Only a few minutes had passed when the Doctor came in around 4:40AM. Nathan was so sweet and held me close as they administered the epidural. He had to poke twice due to a blood vessel encountered. There was a little pinch and a "zing" or shock following. Once he finished, I began to notice a little tingling in my legs as I laid back down in bed. Exhausted from anticipation, I laid down and rested for a while. A couple hours later the nurse came in to tell me that your heart rate wasn't fluctuating as much as she would like. They put an oxygen mask on me and tried turning me on my sides to see if that would help. Somehow I knew you were ok. After being checked again at about 10:30AM, they discovered I was dialated to 6 cm. We were all super excited to have such great progression so quickly. Even our nurse was bursting with excitement for us. She kept cheering me on. Gigi had been keeping everyone updated on where we were at in the process. Poppy came to visit us in the morning to see how we all did through the night and we explained all that had happened.
Once he heard how things were progressing, he waited in the waiting room with Grandpa and Grandma Stokes. We knew things were going to go fast and I began to get nervous. Daddy was right there to hold my hand and even fed me some ice chips in the meantime. Aunt Mickenzie came to see us in the hospital and took a few photos. Bobbi Jo was able to move around her work schedule just to come help document your birth. A little later and I began to feel something had changed. There was pressure and I felt you had moved down even further. The nurse checked me and said we were 9 cm. She had me try 3 practice pushes. It was hard to know if what I was doing was right with the epidural. The nurse had me grab the back of my knees and pull back as I tucked my chin to my chest and pushed. She told me that my first push was correct and that when it came time for delivery, that was exactly what I was supposed to do to help you out. The practice pushing actually put a little stress on you so Doctor said no more practice until he can be in the room with us. Next, lots of different people came in to prepare the room for you. Your little bed was turned on so it would be nice and warm. Lights where positioned and the stirrups were out. They helped get my legs into the right spot and the resident doctor examined everything prior to our Doctor's arrival.
Once things were ready to go, Doctor Joel Carlson came into the room. Daddy helped me round my back up like I was doing a sit-up and I grabbed the back of my knees and pull them back as I pushed. I tried so hard to make sure that I was doing what I needed to get you here safely. Gigi and your Daddy assured me that I was doing a great job and I remember them telling me that they could see your head and some of your hair. I pushed approximately ten times and then I could start to see your head myself. One final push and you came right out. 12:02 pm on June 21st. The first day of summer. They quickly wrapped you up and placed you on my chest. I was awe struck as they laid you down. I couldn't believe you were ours. Both your father and I cried with your arrival. They cleaned out your mouth with a suction and wiped your face with a clean towel.
You cried softly, letting us know you were alright. We thought you were just the most beautiful thing we had ever seen. They asked what your name was going to be. When your Daddy and I looked at you and then each other we knew you would be our little Aria Noelle Stokes. Then, the nurse gently grabbed you from my chest and took you over to your bed. I couldn't go over there but I made sure your Daddy stayed with you. They said that you swollwed a bit of the fluid before you delivered so they placed oxygen on you for about 7 mins. They would continue for the next 24 hours to watch and make sure you got all those bubbles out. They measured your weight at 7 lbs and 13 oz. (exactly 1 oz different from when your mommy was born). Your height recorded was 21 inches and your head circumference was 13.5 inches. They took your foot imprints and you loved to stretch out those long long toes of yours! Daddy tells me you were a good girl while the nurse looked you all over. When they finally got mommy all taken care of, and they said you looked good, the nurse brought you back over to me all clean and swaddled up. In just that short while you changed in color. I was able to notice the small birth mark on your forehead. Your hair was so soft and dark. You must have been exhausted because you kept trying to close your eyes. This is was my favorite part of the whole day, as you lay in my arms, Dad came and encircled both of us in his arms. This is the point I relized we were a family. We had everything I could have ever wished for right there with me. Aria Noelle, you were so worth the wait! We love you more than words could ever say.


Once things were ready to go, Doctor Joel Carlson came into the room. Daddy helped me round my back up like I was doing a sit-up and I grabbed the back of my knees and pull them back as I pushed. I tried so hard to make sure that I was doing what I needed to get you here safely. Gigi and your Daddy assured me that I was doing a great job and I remember them telling me that they could see your head and some of your hair. I pushed approximately ten times and then I could start to see your head myself. One final push and you came right out. 12:02 pm on June 21st. The first day of summer. They quickly wrapped you up and placed you on my chest. I was awe struck as they laid you down. I couldn't believe you were ours. Both your father and I cried with your arrival. They cleaned out your mouth with a suction and wiped your face with a clean towel.
You cried softly, letting us know you were alright. We thought you were just the most beautiful thing we had ever seen. They asked what your name was going to be. When your Daddy and I looked at you and then each other we knew you would be our little Aria Noelle Stokes. Then, the nurse gently grabbed you from my chest and took you over to your bed. I couldn't go over there but I made sure your Daddy stayed with you. They said that you swollwed a bit of the fluid before you delivered so they placed oxygen on you for about 7 mins. They would continue for the next 24 hours to watch and make sure you got all those bubbles out. They measured your weight at 7 lbs and 13 oz. (exactly 1 oz different from when your mommy was born). Your height recorded was 21 inches and your head circumference was 13.5 inches. They took your foot imprints and you loved to stretch out those long long toes of yours! Daddy tells me you were a good girl while the nurse looked you all over. When they finally got mommy all taken care of, and they said you looked good, the nurse brought you back over to me all clean and swaddled up. In just that short while you changed in color. I was able to notice the small birth mark on your forehead. Your hair was so soft and dark. You must have been exhausted because you kept trying to close your eyes. This is was my favorite part of the whole day, as you lay in my arms, Dad came and encircled both of us in his arms. This is the point I relized we were a family. We had everything I could have ever wished for right there with me. Aria Noelle, you were so worth the wait! We love you more than words could ever say.
















Photo Credit goes to Bobbi Jo Journey Photography
ReplyDeleteBeautiful Ashley! I am so glad you posted this!
ReplyDelete